Cala dell’Acqua is a bay located in the area of Le Forna and reachable by land. It is a rocky cove which takes its name from the presence of large areas carved into the rock from which the water still drips.
In this part of the island there is the Roman aqueduct which drew from a spring located in Le Forna, called Tagliamonte fountain. The water was poured into a tunnel and then made to emerge in Cala Inferno. Here it fed a cistern that served to supply the boats even in recent times. Following the traces in the rock the conduit continued up to the area of Santa Maria close to main port.
Also in this area there was the bentonite quarry that was active until 1975. In 1937 the extraction started by the Pontine Islands Mining Society and the deposits were active for about 40 years.
Cala Fonte is a small cove characterized by a crescent-shaped rock and a peculiar conformation similar to a natural harbor.
Once the bay holes were used by island fishermen as a refuge and used them for the custody of boats and wicker pots.
Moreover, puddles dug into the rock were set up and used as lobster nurseries.
Today the bay is easily reachable by a small descent and from here it is possible to see the sun setting over the island of Palmarola.
The fort that dominates Punta Papa, located in the northern part of the island, is easily accessible from Cala dell’Acqua.
King Ferdinand had the fort built in a strategic position in order to perform defense functions for the Torresi settlers who arrived in 1772 and settled in Le Forna.
Probably in that place there was already a fortification, in the XVI century, wanted by Pope Paolo III, heir of the Farnese family and owners of the island, just for defensive purpose.